Monkgate Surgery 01904 439100
Sometimes if you're appointment is urgent and we cannot book you in to the university health centre, we may book you an appointment at Monkgate sugery, which is located close to the university campus.
Ring the numbers listed above to book an appointment. You can also book in person or use the internet (please ask at reception for information on how to register to use this service). Please tell us immediately if your call is an emergency. The receptionist may ask you for details about your illness/problem. This is so she can select the best person for you to see. The more you let us know, the better we will be able to help you. If you visit in person and don't want to tell the receptionist your problem in front of others, you can ask to speak to them in private. Appointments fill up quickly so make sure you book in advance.
- Patients with urgent problems will be seen as soon as possible.
- Consultations take place throughout the day. Normal surgery appointments are every 10 minutes and are for one person and one problem only; please let the receptionist know if you require a longer appointment.
- Patients can be seen at any of our surgeries (ie Acomb, Monkgate) as all our medical records are computerised, so patient information is available to any doctor/nurse at any site.
- Please tell us if you want someone to accompany you during an examination, or a private room to discuss any matters.
Do I need to see a doctor or a nurse?
Our experienced nurses are Nurse Practioners. They are able to offer a wide range of health care as well as the "traditional" nursing jobs, including
- Any minor illness (such as earache, cystitis, colds, sore throats, flu type illnesses)
- Advice on most health concerns and sign posting to the right people
- All contraception (including implants and emergency contraception)
- Asthma/ diabetes /other long term conditions
- Sexual health screening
- Skin problems - eczema
- Smoking cessation
- Comprehensive travel advice
If you are unsure about who to see, explain your problem to the receptionist and they will be able to help.
Please let us know if you cannot make your appointment or do not intend to go for what ever reason. We have had a large number of people who do not turn up to their appointments. If you let us know that you can't make your appointment, it can then be used for another patient. We are very busy at the beginning of term, so please show some consideration turn up to your appointments on time, or let us know if you can't make them.