If you are taking Occupational Therapy or Physiotherapy, you may be aware that you need to book some vaccinations with us at the Medical Centre. Underneath is some information about when and what vaccinations you need.
What you should have done already
• Diptheria Tetanus Polio (last dose within 10 years)
• Measles Mumps Rubella two doses
This should have all been done as part of your childhood programme it is your responsibility to check they are up to date. You can ask your GP to print out a record of your immunisations.
What you need to have done
IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO GET YOUR VACCINATIONS DONE.
• HEP B TAKES SIX MONTHS
• 1st dose :- DAY 0
• 2nd dose :- 1 month after 1st
• 3rd dose :- 6 months after 1st
Please contact the Health Centre on 01904 439101 to make your appointment TWO weeks before this date.
4th & 5th October 2021 1st
1st & 2nd November 2021 2nd
April 2022 date to be confirmed 3rd
You will need a blood test to confirm immunity but we usually do this after your 1st placement when you return next September.
HEALTHCARE WORKERS NEED TO BE PROTECTED FROM TUBERCULOSIS WHICH IS A RESPIRATORY AND SYSTEMIC DISEASE AND IS CONTAGIOUS
If you have had the test and vaccination – usually there will be a scar on your left upper arm then you need do nothing else.
If you are in doubt, or have NO scar:-
When you come for your first Hep B please add your name to the list with the receptionist and make sure we have contact details for you. I will contact you (usually between the 2nd and 3rd Hep B vac) to arrange the test which takes 2 appointments 2 days apart. There can be no variation on this and has to be done in groups as one vial contains multiple tests.
You also need evidence of varicella ( chickenpox ) immunity - this can be a history of the illness - documented/ evidence of scars or shingles a blood test showing immunity - or history of the vaccination - this is not a routine UK childhood immunisation so you may not have had this
PLEASE CONTACT THE RECEPTIONIST AT CAMPUS HEALTH CENTRE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY HAD YOUR TB VACCINATION. We have a waiting list in order to put on another clinic.
Registered and non-registered patients
• If you are already registered with a doctor in the York area and do not wish to join our practice, you may still get your Hep B vaccinations and if needed TB vaccination from us by registering as a temporary resident – the university has arranged this for you via our practice- you probably would have to pay for this at your own practice.
• If you are new to the area you need to have a GP in York We are situated in G block towards the back of campus Please register As Soon As Possible we put extra staff on this week to make it easier for you.
You do not have to join our practice if you do not wish to but must have a local GP in case you get sick while you are studying in York.